Saturday, April 3, 2010

Torture With Footwear

The last few days have been beautiful. Above seasonal temps, sun and lots of outdoor fun. I've been taking Charla to the park, going for walks and playing in the sandbox. Last summer her favorite thing was swinging, this year though she's not enjoying it much. On our first trip to a park she saw the swings and wanted to go in. So I put her in and started pushing her, thinking she was going to have a blast with it the same as last year. However, as soon as the swing started going, she freaked out. She shook, gasped, tried to catch her breath; poor girl was terrified. My husband was going to build her a swing set for her birthday, but I think we're going to go with a tricycle instead for now!

We also had a surprise about the fact that she no longer liked sandals. I put them on her for the first time on Thursday and she screamed. Did not want them on her feet, refused to walk with them on, so I put her shoes on her instead. On Friday I gave it another try. She let me put them on her feet but then wanted them off right away. I persisted though and tried to encourage her to stand up and walk. Finally, after about 15 minutes, she stood up and took a few steps. I let her walk around the house a bit to get used to them before taking her outside. As she was crossing the kitchen towards the backdoor, walking like those were her first steps, she turned to me, gave me a shaky smile and said, "no crying". I was so proud of her for doing something she was unsure of doing and gave her a big hug.

I know her personality tends more towards caution. I've come to expect her to need a few minutes to get used to the idea of something new and perhaps even shed a few tears before she gets the courage to go ahead. However, each and every time she tries, I feel a strong surge of pride. That's my baby girl, overcoming her fears and learning something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment